Zen master and founder of Bodhi Sangha
Fr. AMA Samy (Gen-Un Ken)
Arul Maria Arokiasamy was born of poor Indian parents in Burma in 1936. As a boy he came into some contact with Burmese Buddhism and Buddhist monks. Back in India after the War, he was brought up for a few years by his maternal grandfather, who was a devotee of a Muslim saint and was caring for the burial shrine of the saint. The grandfather died in an accident leaving the young boy without support and guidance. However, the boy finished school and joined the Jesuits.
Even after becoming a priest, his heart was restless. His heart was not fulfilled by the then Christian spirituality. He began visiting Hindu ashrams and buddhist meditation centers. Swami Abhishiktananda introduced to the teaching of Ramana Maharishi and he was much moved by this vision. His quest and searching led him to become a wandering beggar for a while and settle down as a hermit near a holy shrine; the village people fed him. It was the zen way which drew him most. With the help of Fr. Enomiya Lassalle, he went to Japan and was able to train with Yamada Ko-Un Roshi of Sanbo Kyodan. In 1982 Yamada Ko-Un gave him transmission and authorization to teach. Fr. AMA Samy is rooted in Christianity and in Zen; he can be said to stand in-between Hinduism, Buddhism and Christianity. He stands true to Christ, true to Zen and true to the human heart-mind.
Fr. AMA Samy spends a few months every year abroad, mostly in Europe, teaching and helping his students (see the sesshin list). He is the founder of Bodhi Sangha.
Fr. Ama Samy has appointed the following masters and teachers:
• Stefan Bauberger (b. 1960), Zen master, resides in Germany, separated from Bodhi Sangha in 2009
• Johannes Fischer (b. 1957), Zen master, resides in Germany, separated from Bodhi Sangha in 2018
• Carl Hooper (b. 1943), Zen master, resides in Australia
• Gert Lüderitz (b. 1950), Zen master, resides in Germany
• Cyril Mathew SJ (b. 1970), Zen master, resides in India
• Angela Pliske (b. 1937), Sensei (Zen teacher), resides in Czech Republic
• Olaf Strelcyk (b. 1978), Zen master, resides in the United States
See also these pages: